Aktieselskabet Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg (the Steamship Company Svendborg) was established on 16 April 1904 in the town of Svendborg.
Dampskibsselskabet af 1912 Aktieselskab (the Steamship Company of 1912) was founded on 22 August 1912 in Copenhagen.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was born on 13 July 1913 in Hellerup north of Copenhagen, the second oldest child born to Chastine Estelle Mc-Kinney Møller og shipowner A.P. Møller.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was christened on 17 August 1913 at the church in Hellerup, north of Copenhagen.
Odense Staalskibsværft ved A.P. Møller (Odense Steel Shipyard) was founded and constructed at the Odense canal. The first new buildings were steamers and the first motor vessel was delivered in 1921.
Vessels were delivered from this yard until 1966.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller completed his lower secondary school examination / “high school”.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller worked with the shipping company of C.K. Hansen from 1 September 1930 to 25 June 1932.
In 1932-1933, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller worked briefly in his father’s company at Kongens Nytorv, a central square in Copenhagen where the headquarters were located at that time.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller worked with the broker firm Karsten Rehder in Hamburg, Germany, from April 1933 to March 1934.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller did his national service in the then 1st Regiment in Copenhagen.
In 1934-1935, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller returned to his father’s company at Kongens Nytorv, a central square in Copenhagen where the headquarters were located at that time.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller worked for the shipping and brokerage company Hogarth & Sons in London and Glasgow, with the merchant bank Lazard Brothers & Co. in London and the French shipping company L. Martin Cie., Paris, during 1936 - 1938.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was promoted to his first management position in his father’s company, A.P. Møller.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was elected to the board of directors of Aktieselskabet Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg (the Steamship Company Svendborg) on 30 October 1939.
From 1939 to 2009, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller owned Bramsløkke Hovedgård (Bramsløkke Manorhouse) on the south Danish island of Lolland.
On 22 May 1940, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was married to Emma Marie Neergaard Rasmussen at Taarbæk church, north of Copenhagen.
On 24 May 1940, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was made partner in Firmaet A.P. Møller (which was and is the managing owner/legal representative of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S).
After the German occupation of Denmark in April 1940, contact was lost to most vessels. Emma and Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller left for New York to regain control of the vessels.
After the requisition of the vessels by the American administration in 1941, work concentrated on preparing the post-war period.
On 30 April 1941, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was elected to the board of directors of Dampskibsselskabet af 1912 Aktieselskab (the Steamship Company of 1912).
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was in New York at the time and did not participate in meetings until 1948.
Leise was born in New York on 24 September 1941 as the first of three daughters.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller established Interseas Shipping Co., which soon changed its name to Moller Steamship Company.
The undertaking, which became an agent for Maersk Line in the USA in 1946, was the foundation for today’s Maersk Inc.
Kirsten was born in New York as the second of three daughters.
Emma and Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller with two daughters returned to Denmark from New York in November 1947.
Gradually, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller took over more and more responsibility from his father, A.P. Møller.
Ane was born in Copenhagen as the last of three daughters.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was elected to the board of directors of Odense Staalskibsværft A/S (Odense Steel Shipyard); he was the chairman of the company from his father’s death in 1965 until 2006.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was a founding member of the board of A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (the Moller Foundation), which became the main shareholder in the two steamship companies.
Mr. Møller was the chairman of the Foundation from 1965 until his death.
Odense Staalskibsværft A/S (Odense Steel Shipyard) opened the Lindø yard, where vessels up to 200.000 tons could be built.
In 1969, the docks were extended to a capacity of 650.000 tons and the landmark of the yard, the large portal crane, was constructed.
Roulunds Fabriker in Odense was included in the A.P. Moller Group.
The activities in Roulunds were sold in 2006.
Mr. A.P. Møller with Aktieselskabet Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg (the Steamship Company Svendborg) and Dampskibsselskabet af 1912 Aktieselskab (the Steamship Company of 1912) was awarded the concession for exploration and extraction of raw materials from Denmark’s underground.
On behalf of Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg (the Steamship Company Svendborg) and Dampskibsselskabet af 1912 (the Steamship Company of 1912), Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller signed a deal with Herman Salling to establish Dansk Supermarked A/S, which today comprises the retail stores of Bilka, Føtex and Netto.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller became senior partner and chairman of the shipping companies, the shipyard, other companies and the foundations after his father, A.P. Møller’s death on 12 June 1965. Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller resigned as CEO in 1993 and retired his chairmanship in most companies in 2003.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller became a member of the board of Den A.P. Møllerske Hjælpefond af 19. november 1960 (a foundation benefiting Maersk employees).
Maersk Supply Service was established in connection with the oil exploration efforts in the Danish part of the North Sea.
Today, the fleet of supply vessels that serves the offshore oil and gas industry includes more than 60 purpose-built vessels.
From 1967 until 1984, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was a member of the International Council at Morgan Guaranty Trust Co., New York.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal aided the construction of Ansgarkirken, the Danish church in Flensborg, Germany.
Maersk Air started flights in Denmark. Later, the company extended its operation to include international scheduled, charter and cargo services.
The activities in Maersk Air were sold in 2005.
The starting point was the internal IT function; in 1970, Mærsk Data was established to support IT projects and operation within the Group.
At the time of the sale to IBM in 2004, Mærsk Data had grown into an international company with more than 3.500 employees and offices around the world.
As the first non-US citizen, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller became a member of the board for IBM Corp., USA, in 1970 and remained on the board until 1984.
The joint venture Dansk Undergrunds Consortium (DUC) made its first find and started production in the Dan-field in the summer of 1972.
His Royal Highness Prince Henrik opened the stream, when the first oil was transported to shore at the Danish town Stigsnæs on the motor tanker MARIE MÆRSK.
INGE MÆRSK, Maersk Tankers’ first gas tanker, was a so-called LPG-tanker; LPG is short for Liquefied Petroleum Gas.
Maersk Drilling was established to own and operate drilling rigs for companies with interests within oil exploration.
Maersk Line introduced nine container vessels on the original route, which still connects USA and The Far East.
ADRIAN MÆRSK departed from Newark, USA, on 5 September 1975.
An agreement was entered with the Danish government regarding rights and production of natural gas in the Danish North Sea.
As containerisation expanded in the 1970’s, the need for optimal utilisation of the container’s space grew (consolidation).
This led to the establishment of Mercantile with subsidiaries in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. The activities are continued in Maersk Logistics and now Damco.
For his initiative and energy, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was bestowed the Danish Tietgen Award.
Having had its main address at Kongens Nytorv 8 since 1915, A.P. Moller – Maersk moved to its new headquarters at Esplanaden, also in central Copenhagen.
The original building was designed by Ole Hagen, while the extension from 2005 was designed by Henning Larsen.
SVITZER was established in 1833 and acquired by the A.P. Moller Group in 1979.
SVITZER is engaged in specialised marine activities such as harbour, coastal, terminal/LNG, offshore and ocean towage as well as salvage operations, crew-boat and emergency-response services.
Dansk Undergrunds Consortium (DUC) entered in an agreement with Dansk Olie og Naturgas A/S (DONG Energy) about the sale of natural gas from the Danish North Sea.
The Craftmen’s Guild in Copenhagen named Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller an Honorary Craftsman for his creativity in the management of the A.P. Moller – Maersk Group.
The concession for exploration and extraction of raw materials from Denmark’s underground from 1962 was changed significantly.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) funded the establishment of Ladelund Ungdomsskole, a school for the Danish youth in north Germany.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) built Amaliehaven, a public garden behind the royal residence of Amalienborg, and assigned it to the Danish State and the City of Copenhagen.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was appointed Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
Having been a member of the board of directors since 1970, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller became a member of the Advisory Board, IBM Corp., USA, and he remained that until 1993.
The then Danish Prime Minister Poul Schlüter pushed the button, when the joint venture Dansk Undergrunds Consortium (DUC) with Maersk Oil as operator produced the first natural gas from the Tyra field in the Danish North Sea.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) funded parts of the escavations of Illerup river valley and in recognition for this, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was given the H.M. The Queen Margrethe’s Archaelological Foundation Medal.
Maersk Line took over the liner activities in Chargeurs Réunis, France, and Cie Maritime Belge, Belgium.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was bestowed with the Honorary Knight of the most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
In 1990, on behalf of Maersk Line, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller received recognition for the rescue of a total of 6.954 boat refugees during 1975-1989 from the United Nation’s High Commissioner for Refugees.
For his contributions to the international shipping industry, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller became an Honorary Member of The Baltic Exchange.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was given the United States’ Peace and Commerce Medal.
Mærsk Container Industri was established in Tinglev, Denmark.
Today, production takes place in two modern facilities in China.
For the first time, the production of oil and gas by the joint venture Dansk Undergrunds Consortium (DUC) exceeds the consumption of Denmark.
ELEO MÆRSK, the world’s first double hulled supertanker, was delivered to Maersk Tankers from Odense Steel Shipyard.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) built the conference centre ”The Maersk Mc-Kinney Møller Centre for Continuing Education” for the Churchill College in Cambridge, England.
After 28 years at helm of the Group, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller stepped down from daily management.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller remained Chairman of the Foundations, Shipping Companies and Odense Steel Shipyard.
A.P. Moller acquired all liner activities in EACBen Container Line Ltd. from the Danish East Asiatic Company.
After two years of preparation, Maersk Oil initiated oil production in Qatar.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) funded the restoration and the fitting out of the Danish frigate Jylland, the longest wooden ship in the world.
The world’s largest container vessel, REGINA MÆRSK with a capacity of more than 6.000 twenty-foot containers, was delivered to Maersk Line from Odense Steel Shipyard.
The shipyard’s own world record from the year before was surpassed when Odense Steel Shipyard delivered SOVEREIGN MÆRSK with a capacity of more than 6.600 twenty-foot containers to Maersk Line.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) established the facilities for the Maersk Mc-Kinney Møller Institute for Production Technology at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense.
The Chinese President Jiang Zemin welcomed Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller in Beijing.
Safmarine Container Lines was acquired and continued under the brand name Safmarine.
Later in the year, Sea-Land Service Inc. was acquired. In that connection, Maersk Line changed name to Maersk Sealand during 1999-2006.
A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation) funded the restoring of the ramparts of the Citadel of Copenhagen.
Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II bestowed Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller with the Order of the Elephant on 15 December 2000.
Since 1900, three other civilian Danes have been appointed Knight of the Elephant: the linguist Vilhelm Thomsen in 1912, the founder of the East Asiatic Company H.N. Andersen in 1919 and the physicist Niels Bohr in 1947.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was named Danish Executive of the Century by Dansk Selskab for Virksomhedsledelse, the largest association for executives in Denmark.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller was appointed Honorary Citizen of Svendborg, the Danish town where Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg (the Steamship Company Svendborg) was established in 1904.
Due to a new strategy focusing on the tanker and bulk trades, the Danish A/S Dampskibsselskabet TORM sold its liner activities, TORM Lines, to the A.P. Moller Group.
The activities were integrated in the networks of Maersk Sealand (now Maersk Line) and Safmarine.
The two original companies, Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg og Dampskibsselskabet af 1912 (the Steamship Companies Svendborg and 1912) and their partnerships were merged with Dampskibsselskabet Svendborg as the continuing company with the new name A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S.
Maersk Drilling had MÆRSK INNOVATOR delivered, the world’s largest and most advanced jack-up drilling rig.
The legs are 205 meters tall and make it possible for MÆRSK INNOVATOR to operate year round at up to 150 meters depth in the Danish North Sea or elsewhere with similarly harsh weather.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller retired as chairman for and member of the Board of Directors of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S.
Mr. Michael Pram Rasmussen was chosen as the new chairman of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S.
Extending the original 50 year concession for exploration and extraction of raw materials from Denmark’s underground from 1962 to 2042, it was agreed that the Danish State without compensation would enter as partner with 20 % in the joint venture Dansk Undergrunds Consortium (DUC).
By far its largest donation, A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaals (The Moller Foundation) transferred the Opera in Copenhagen to the Danish State.
The A.P. Moller – Maersk Group acquired Royal P&O Nedlloyd N.V.
The activities were integrated in Maersk Sealand (now Maersk Line) and Maersk Logistics (now Damco).
Maersk Oil acquired the majority of Kerr-McGee’s oil and gas interests in the British part of the North Sea.
As part of the acquisition, Maersk Oil took over a staff of more than 500.
Emma and Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller were married in 1940 and throughout, Mrs. Møller stood by Mr. Møller’s side.
Mrs. Møller was a firm pillar of the home, and even in her last years, despite failing health, she was a regular participant at the annual general meetings of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller retired as chairman and member of the Board of Directors at Odense Staalskibsværft A/S (Odense Steel Shipyard).
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller became a member of the Board in 1948 and chairman following A.P. Møller’s passing in 1965.
For the third time in 10 years, Odense Steel Shipyard delivered the world’s largest container vessel – this time with a capacity of more than 11.000 twenty-foot containers.
Maersk Line has received a total of eight vessels of this size.
On 5 November 2007, Jess Søderberg was replaced as Group CEO for A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S by Nils Smedegaard Andersen, who was the CEO of Carlsberg and a member of the Board of Directors of A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S.
Her Majesty Queen Margrethe of Denmark inaugurated the A.P. Møller School, a Danish upper secondary school in Slesvig, Germany.
The school was donated by A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til almene Formaal (The Moller Foundation).
Due to the increasingly difficult competitive situation, Odense Steel Shipyard decided to discontinue the shipbuilding acitivities.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller resigned as chairman of the board in Maersk Broker, a shipbroking operation founded by A.P. Møller in 1914.
Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller succeeded A.P. Møller as chairman in 1965.